Richie DePaolis-Metz is the Director of Recruitment and Admissions for the College of LAS. Having worked in college admissions for the last decade, Richie is passionate about helping prospective students succeed in their next chapter.
Students in the midst of their search to find the “best fit” college to attend often ask, “What is the most effective way to find out if a particular college is the right fit?” I believe the answer to this question for most students is to visit the campuses of the top colleges they are considering.
Students also often wonder what time of year they should plan to visit campus. In my opinion, here at the University of Illinois, fall is an ideal time to explore campus. The atmosphere is full of excitement for the possibilities of a new academic year; the weather is welcoming with moderate temperatures; and the autumnal colors make for a picturesque backdrop. On top of all that, we offer an immersive and engaging campus visit option in the fall: Orange & Blue Days!
Orange & Blue Days are large open houses held on select Mondays and Fridays this fall. In addition to a campus tour, at an Orange & Blue Day you can:
- Meet with representatives from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) to learn more about the unique experiences and opportunities that are available to our students and the major or majors that are of interest to you.
- Interact with current students while out on a tour, listening to them on a student panel, or simply having a casual conversation out on the Quad.
- Hear from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to understand how the application process works.
- Learn about the financial aid process and scholarships during a presentation from the financial aid experts.
- Explore university housing and dining options through university housing tours, an information session, and enjoying lunch on campus.
- Dive deeper into the biology, biochemistry, chemical sciences, or psychology majors by participating in lab tours and/or information sessions.
- Choose from a variety of optional activities like a tour of the Krannert Center for Performing Arts, a visit to one of several cultural and resource centers, or a stop by the Illinois Abroad & Global Exchange office.
Clearly, attending an Orange & Blue Day is a campus visit option that is full of opportunities to explore Illinois and the College of LAS. I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to see what it’s like to be a part of our exciting and innovative community. Online registration is open.
We look forward to welcoming you on campus soon!