Grades and reports

Grading system

The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences currently uses two grade-point averages in auditing student degree progress and completion: the graduation (college) GPA and the all-university GPA.

The college GPA is used to determine whether students have a cumulative 2.00 average on all work completed toward their LAS degree; all work is included in computing this average except for military training courses and courses taken at this campus that do not count toward the LAS degree.

The all-university GPA is based on all courses completed at this campus, including military science courses. This method of computation is used to determine probation and drop status, transfers between colleges on this campus, and eligibility to transfer into the university. It is also used in the computation of honors.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign uses a four-point system of computation, and the system includes plus (+) and minus (-) grades as reflected in the following chart:

Grade Points/credit hour
A+ 4.00
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
ABS 0.00

Note: For purposes of internal accounting, a grade of ABS may be assigned to indicate that the student was absent from a final examination without an acceptable excuse; an ABS counts as a failing grade. DFR is used in a course graded on the basis of more than one semester's work. NR means a missing grade.

At the end of each semester, a computation is made of both the semester and cumulative college GPAs on all credit hours applicable toward the LAS degree.

Try the GPA calculator to predict your future GPA.

Midterm grades for first-year students

By university policy, instructors are directed to submit grades for all freshmen at the end of the first eight weeks (midterm) of each semester. These grades are not used in calculating the GPA; rather, they are intended to help students evaluate their progress in each course and to assist college and departmental advisors in counseling students about their academic program. Be sure to consult instructors directly for any questions regarding student progress at midterm in each course. College deans and college and department advisors are also available to discuss student progress.

Grade reports

Semester grade reports are posted to UI-Integrate Student Self Service. Discuss your grade reports with academic advisors while planning your degree program. You're also encouraged to share the report with your parents or guardians.

Appealing a grade

Students who have questions regarding their semester grade in a course should confer directly with the instructor. Students who also believe the grade awarded is demonstrably improper by reason of capricious or arbitrary grading should confer directly with the instructor of the course or, if the instructor is unavailable, with the head of the department. Students who are unable through such discussion to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution may file a written appeal with the Capricious Grading Committee of the department offering the course. Prompt attention to these concerns is important. The appeal must be filed within six working weeks after the start of the next semester. Students may obtain the name of the committee chairperson from the departmental office.

For further information, refer to §3-107 of the Student Code.

Degree audits

You may log on to the degree audit system for direct access to your degree audit report. This website lets you compare your proposed course schedule with what the audit designates as a shortage in degree requirements. In some majors, you are required to complete a major plan of study form before a report can be generated.

Although the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences makes every effort to verify the accuracy of the student-generated degree audit report, it is an advisory tool only. It is not the official audit of whether you have or have not met graduation requirements. If there are any inconsistencies in the audit or if you have questions regarding your academic progress, contact an admissions/records officer immediately. Ultimately, the responsibility for the preparation of a sound program, both academically and procedurally, lies with you. That is why you are expected to consult with your academic advisor and admissions/records officer on a regular basis.