Submitting a course for review
LAS units will use the Course Inventory Management module to submit new and revised courses. Each unit will have a designated CIM user(s) who can submit new/revised courses. Faculty can use the information below to submit their proposed new/revised courses to their department for entry into the CIM. All questions on the CIM should be addressed to Andrea Ray.
Propose a new course: Submit the New Course Form (updated May 2022) and a syllabus meeting LAS requirements to the approved CIM user within your unit. This information and syllabus are entered into the CIM module by choosing "Propose New Course" and addressing all questions.
Revision of a course: Submit the requested change(s) and justification for the change(s) to the approved CIM user within your unit. This information is entered into the CIM module by choosing "Edit Course" and addressing all questions. Minor revisions to a course (such as change in course title) do not necessarily require a syllabus. For all other revisions, attach a syllabus for an upcoming term meeting all LAS requirements.
Course fee request: Submit the completed Course Fee Request Form to the approved CIM user within your unit.
Policies and guidelines
- LAS syllabi requirements & Checklist for LAS Course Syllabi
- Course credit guidelines
- Course fee policies from campus
- Cross-list guidelines
- Differential credit guidelines for courses
- Deactivating courses
- Graduate College guidelines for participation/discussion grades for graduate courses
- Graduate College requirements and recommendations for syllabi
- LAS Online course policies & guidelines
- Emergency Resources for Instructors, by the Division of Public Safety
- Deadlines for hiring to meet teaching needs
CIM processing information
- CIM training materials from the Office of the Registrar
- Reviewing and approving courses submitted through the CIM
- CIM helpful hints
- Deadlines for course submissions provides approximate dates for submitting new and revised course outlines forms to LAS for review
Proposing New Courses
- Academic Catalog for the University of Illinois: Provides links to the following important resources:
- Courses of instruction - all classes listed by course subject
- Curricular requirements - detailed information on undergraduate and graduate requirements
- Class schedule - classes offered by units each semester
- General education requirements
- Office of the Registrar: Information for faculty and staff that provides links to the following information:
- Course fees: Lists of all fees organized by semester from the Office of the Registrar
- Course Grade Mode reports: list from Office of the Registrar
- Course scheduling: Information from Campus Administrative Manual
- 6-10 Policy
- ATLAS, Teaching & Learning with Technology: information on using technology in courses
For more information on any of these procedures, please contact:
Andrea Ray, Assistant to the Associate Dean for Curricula and Academic Policy, (217) 333-2192
Office of the Dean, 2090 Lincoln Hall, MC-448
Please submit all course forms via the CIM for college processing.