Submitting curricula for review
We recommend that units contact Stephen R. Downie (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Dean for Curricula and Academic Policy, in the Office of the Dean prior to initiating proposals for new or revised curricula. Prior to submitting the proposal, please forward unit's Executive Officer approval to LAS.
All academic program proposals are now to be submitted through the CIM Programs system (CIM-P). LAS is no longer using Word templates for college-level approvals. A unit's authorized CIM user will now be required to enter information directly into the appropriate CIM-P form. If another person will be responsible for completing the form, Andrea Ray (email@example.com) in the Office of the Dean can help obtain their approval for access to CIM-P. Guidelines for new or revised programs are available, as are instructions for the use of CIM-P.
Previews of CIM-P forms for two common proposal types are provided here as examples to the questions asked in CIM-P. Please be aware that some questions in CIM-P may not be identical to those presented in these examples. Do not submit these completed example forms to LAS; all proposals and supporting documents are to be submitted through the CIM-P system.
To create a new program of study, enter CIM-P and choose "Propose New Program."
- Example of CIM-P proposal type to create a new concentration in an existing program
- Example of CIM-P proposal type to create a new major in an existing degree
For revisions to an existing program, find your program in CIM-P and click "Edit the Program." Additional guidance for developing or revising graduate programs are available from the Graduate College.
All undergraduate programs and all joint programs with an undergraduate degree must include a Sample Sequence (a sample eight-semester plan that accounts for all degree requirements) that will become part of the Academic Catalog. Examples of sample sequences, a template, and instructions for creating them can be obtained by contacting Andrea Ray (firstname.lastname@example.org). The listing of courses outside of the unit in the program of study requires approval from the Department Head of the unit(s) offering the courses.
If you have questions on completing a CIM-P form, please contact LAS Academic Catalog. Questions about academic program policies should be directed to Brooke Newell (email@example.com) in the Office of the Provost.
Policies and guidelines
LAS college policies
- Guidelines for restriction of numbers of majors when necessary for over-enrolled units
- LAS certificate program guidelines
- LAS guidelines for awarding multiple majors and minors
- LAS policy on approval semesters for undergraduate curricula
- LAS policy statement defining majors and specialized curricula
- LAS Science and Letters curriculum guidelines for majors
Graduate college policies
- Policy for approval of new and revised graduate degree programs
- Policy for graduate concentrations
- Policy for graduate minors
- Policy for off-campus/online delivery of graduate degree or certificate programs
- 2022-23 Academic proposal meeting dates
- Committee on Educational Policy frequently asked questions regarding curriculum proposals
- Curricula Tracking Log provides list of all LAS curricula in process. *For the most recent update, have your authorized departmental CIM-P user access the proposal.*
- Levels of Governance for program and curricular changes
- Processing timeline for LAS degree programs: provides an overview of the review process
- Program approval process flow chart: The campus provides an overview of the road a proposal follows once it leaves the college
- Academic Catalog for the University of Illinois - Provides links to the following important resources:
- Courses of Instruction - all classes listed by course subject
- Curricular Requirements - detailed information on Undergraduate and Graduate requirements
- Class Schedule - classes offered by units each semester
- Approval process for LAS courses
- Curricula Approval Committee websites:
- General education requirements
- A guide to the intercollegiate transfer (ICT) process
- LAS Advising Toolbox for advisors and faculty instructing undergraduate students
- LAS certificate programs
- Office of the Registrar: information for faculty and staff provides links to the following information:
- Calendars, policies, and forms
- Course scheduling
- Final exam scheduling
- Grade processing
- Reporting and data access
- Provost Office's guidelines for new or revised programs
For more information on any of these procedures, please contact:
Stephen R. Downie, firstname.lastname@example.org, Associate Dean for Curricula and Academic Policy, (217) 333-1350
Andrea Ray, email@example.com, Office Administrator, (217) 333-2192
College of LAS Office of the Dean, 2090 Lincoln Hall, MC-448