The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is committed to helping students prepare for life after college. We do this by helping students design their time on campus and after graduation.
Design your life and career
Our students don’t limit their learning to the classroom, library, and research lab. They use design thinking to find their passions and prepare for their careers.
The college’s resources incorporate a number of opportunities to help them, including a core set of classes, a variety of events, services offered through the Life + Career Design Lab, and hands-on learning experiences.
Our students reflect on what they’ve learned by creating personal portfolios that tell their stories and maps for navigating their futures.
How do we do this? We ask students to inquire, engage, and create.
We believe curiosity is a catalyst for growth. We inspire curiosity through active inquiry of self, others, challenges, and opportunities. We do this through:
- core classes that will help you learn about and apply design thinking
- LAS Success workshops, to help you succeed in the classroom and beyond
- the Life + Career Design Lab, where peer advisors and staff members can help you face-to-face
- Career Communities, where you can learn about the possibilities and take some action
We believe that students need to have a range of experiences both in the classroom and beyond to determine what they'll do after graduation. We inspire students to engage with opportunities and reflect on how they fit into their life and career maps. Resources we offer:
- studying abroad
- conducting undergraduate research
- developing your leadership skills
- learning through service and civic engagement
We believe in the power of the narrative. We assist students in creating their personal stories—retrospective and prospective—based on their experiences and reflections. We guide students to create a narrative around their academic, personal, and professional experiences to help them find new opportunities for growth and career success. We do so by:
- guiding you through creating an eportfolio
- helping you map your life and career
- assisting you with your job search plan
Our classes will help you plan your time at Illinois and navigate your future beyond college. They include:
- LAS 101, Freshman Seminar
- LAS 102, Transfer Advantage
- LAS 201, Design Your Illinois
- LAS 250, Design Your Life + Career
Our LAS Success Workshops will help you navigate both academic challenges and prepare for your future. Some examples of workshop titles:
- Design your study abroad
- The mindful student: Discovering your strengths
- Preparing for your first chemistry exam
Learn more about the world around you by participating in one of our study abroad programs. You can take a short-term trip over a school break, or stay for a semester or academic year.
Research can provide you hands-on experience and insight into your future.