Academic Leadership and Management Institute
The Illinois Academic Leadership and Management Institute (ALMI) consists of individual and group exercises, lectures, case studies, and discussions designed for any junior faculty member who conducts group-based research* in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences or the Grainger College of Engineering.
- Equipping junior faculty with the tools for successful careers at Illinois
- Enhancing the ability of junior faculty to provide strong research group experiences for undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral scholars
- Creating camaraderie among early-career investigators to support each other as peer mentors
- Sharing tools to integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion into research according to campus guidelines
- Access to academic leadership experts, including resources and tools
- Participation in a peer network
- Activities could count toward new DEI requirements for Provost Communication 9
- A certificate of completion at the end of the program
- Completion award stipend at the end of the program to support your research
Interested applicants should discuss their potential participation with their supervisor with the understanding that this time commitment is significant for a junior investigator since, if accepted, the participants must attend the entire course. Participants in the course will be selected in a competitive review process; 10-15 applicants will be accepted each year.
When you apply, you will need to supply:
- 200-400 word personal statement describing why you should be selected for this leadership development program
- A current CV
The application closed on September 30, 2022.
*Any faculty (specialized, instructional, research) who lead any number of undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral scholars in clinical, bench, computational or educational research are eligible to apply to the program.
Course content and dates
The workshops will take place from noon to 2 p.m. approximately every other Tuesday/Wednesday in the spring semester. Lunch will be provided.