LAS 101 Freshman Seminar is a one-credit, graded course designed to assist you in succeeding at U of I. These small-group classes meet weekly and are led by an LAS 101 intern—a successful junior or senior student mentor whose goal is to help you get off to a strong start at U of I.
In LAS 101, you will:
- learn skills to successfully transition to college
- have immediate access to a peer mentor who can answer your many questions about your new life as an Illinois student
- learn about important and valuable campus resources
- enjoy a small classroom environment and meet other people who may become life-long friends
- learn about the values of the College of LAS
- use design thinking methods to design your first year at Illinois
All first-year students are required to enroll in and complete the LAS 101 Freshman Seminar. Exceptions include students admitted to Chemical Engineering, who will enroll in ENG 100, and students admitted as James Scholars, who will enroll in LAS 122.