Visit the ACES + LAS Career Fair, where hundreds of employers will be seeking students like you.
- Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019
- Activities and Recreation Center (ARC)
201 E. Peabody Drive, Champaign
Before the fair
- Research the companies attending the fair. See the list in Handshake.
- Update and polish your resume. Attend drop-in hours at the Life + Career Design Lab, The Career Center, or the Writer's Workshop.
- Ready your professional attire. Don't have a suit? visit Illinois' Career Closet.
- Attend a career fair prep workshop.
During the fair
- Don't wait until the last hour. While the event is open between 1:30 and 6 p.m., a few employers will leave early. Ensure you meet with your ideal company by attending between 2 and 4 p.m.
- Work the fair alone. Teamwork might be a great skill to demonstrate, but not at the fair. Gather with friends in the student prep area, but speak to companies by yourself.
- Bring 10 to 20 copies of your resume, but know that not all companies will accept them. Some will want you to submit your materials online, so have that electronic copy ready.
- Eye contact, a firm handshake, and being personable will go along way!
- Show the recruiters you did your research. Talk about their company websites or something positive you learned about the company.
- Collect names and business cards of recruiters you speak with.
After the fair
- Create a file of the companies and contacts you spoke with, and of the potential opportunities you learned about at the fair. Maintain it.
- Connect with new contacts on LinkedIn.
- Send thank-you messages.
- Favorite companies in Handshake and get notified when they post opportunities or come back to campus.
What to wear
- Select your career fair attire at least a week before the event. Make sure your hem is the appropriate length for the shoe you plan on wearing.
- Shoes should be free of scuffs and dust.
- Tattoos, like jewelry, can be distracting. Consider ways to remove the focus from the tattoo back to you such as covering a tattoo.
- Hair should be pulled away from the face. It is important for recruiters to be able to see your eyes.
What to bring
- Don't forget a padfolio to carry your resumes, business cards, and note paper
- If you need to bring a bag or coat, the fair will have a bag check
Tips for women
- If you choose to wear earrings make sure they are not too distracting. Small hoops or stud earrings may be best. Large hoops and dangling earrings tend to draw attention away from you and toward the earrings.
- Heels tend make you stand up straighter, however, the career fair covers a lot of square footage. Make sure you can get to all of the employers without getting sore feet/blisters. Heels that are one to two inches are best.
- Skirts should not be too short. A general rule of thumb. If you would look good going to the bars, you are not appropriately dressed for the career fair.
Tips for men
- Recommended suit colors are gray, black, and navy blue. Dress slacks and a sports coat are also acceptable.
- White or light colored shirts appear more business professional. Make sure your shirt is ironed. Wrinkles do not impress recruiters.
- Practice tying a tie. There are online video sources with demonstrations of how to tie them if you are not familiar.
- Registration for the 2019 ACES + LAS Career Fair opens May 15, 2019.
- Register online using your Handshake @ Illinois account.
- More information regarding pricing, sponsorship, and deadlines can be accessed here.
Life + Career Design Lab
Visit the College of LAS' Life + Career Design Lab for more resources that will help you prepare for the career fair.
Volunteer shifts start before the fair. They continue during and after the fair ends. If you would like to see what the fair is like and help make the event a success, consider volunteering. To reserve your T-shirt, be sure to register by September 25.