In 1993, the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences established the LAS Staff Awards to identify and honor selected staff members for their outstanding contributions to the college. The program is sponsored by alumni and friends of the college. Up to three awards may be made annually. The LAS Awards Committee, assisted by two previous winners of this award, will review and rank the nominations received. Final recipient recommendations will be approved by the dean of the college.
Nominations will be evaluated in terms of achievement according to the following established criteria:
- Demonstrates excellence in overall work performance.
- Promotes positive morale through a congenial, supportive attitude and by providing service to others.
- Puts forth an effort to improve self as well as to develop and recognize others.
- Exhibits initiative and creativity resulting in improved operating efficiency of a work unit or the college as a whole.
- Enhances the image of the department and/or college.
Distinctive achievement in all areas will constitute the strongest case for selection. The selection committee will be cognizant, however, of particularly outstanding achievement in any one area.
Recipients will receive a $2,000 award and a commemorative plaque. Both will be presented at an LAS Awards Reception in late February or early March.
A nominee must be a full-time staff employed within the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences for at least three years by the nomination deadline. Recipient must be employed in LAS at time of reception. A person who receives any LAS College Award will not be eligible for nomination for a second college award during the next 10-year period. Nominations of employees in all staff classifications are encouraged (i.e., storekeeper, clerical, maintenance worker).
Nominations for these awards may be made by any member of the campus community (staff, faculty, or student), but must be endorsed by the executive officer of the nominee's unit. All nominations must be submitted on the official LAS nomination form. All materials must be typed in 12 point, Times New Roman font, single-spaced. A copy of the official campus Chancellor's Distinguished Staff Award Program nomination form is also allowed if used with the LAS nomination form.
Those making a nomination for the LAS Staff Awards should submit all of the following:
- LAS Staff Awards nomination form
- Nominee's job description (please limit to one page)
- Narrative of approximately three-pages describing how the nominee fulfills the stated criteria listed on the reverse side (indicate specific activities or programs in which your candidate has excelled)
- Three letters of recommendation
All re-nominations require submission of an updated narrative as well as a new nominating form.
The deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. on October 30, 2023. A PDF of the nomination packet should be emailed to email@example.com If needed, a paper copy can be sent to: LAS AWARDS COMMITTEE, 2090 Lincoln Hall MC-448.